Homework is seen as vital to support learning that is occurring at school. Homework involves completing work and assignments set by teachers. Importantly, homework should also be used to complete unfinished classwork, revision of classwork and study. The amount of time required for homework varies from student to student but increases significantly in the senior years of schooling.
The following times provide a guide for the different year levels:
- Year 7: 4–5 hours per week
- Year 8: 5–6 hours per week
- Year 9: 6–8 hours per week
- Year 10: 8–10 hours per week
- Year 11 10-12 hours per week
- Year 12 12-15 hours per week
In the event that, for valid reasons, a student is unable to complete set homework or an assignment by the due date, an explanatory note from the parent or guardian to the teacher concerned is required.